I write a lot about the importance of self-care, especially in my Wellbeing Wednesday series. But what do I mean by the term and perhaps you’d like some examples? This the first in a number of posts about introducing self-care, so if this is the sort of post you love reading, you may wish to subscribe so you don’t miss anything. Sign up here!
What I mean by Self-Care
Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, physical and emotional health. It is something that is very often over-looked.
- “I’m too busy”
- “How am I going to have time?”
- “It’s not a priority”
In fact the opposite is true. Good self-care is key to improved health and wellbeing, increased mood and reduced anxiety. It’s also key to a good relationship with ourselves and others. Now, I know we all have a lot on our plates. But did you also know that you’ll be more effective if you start your day with energy-creating practices rather than diving in and pushing till you drop? That’s why it’s so important to carve out sacred, non-negotiable self-care time. So how can we do that?
Ideas for Activities
A self-care activity is anything that refuels us, that lifts us up or re-energises us. This is going to be different for different people. If you don’t already know what these activites are for you, it might be worth spending some time thinking about the following questions.
- At the end of a long day, what do you look forward to doing?
- If you could design your perfect day, what would it look like?
What self-care looks like for me
- I love reading-both fiction and non-fiction. (expand)
- Spending time outside. Sometimes this just means standing in the garden and taking some deep breaths.
- Going for walks.
- Spending time with my handsome Harvey-that’s my black Labrador!!
- Having an early night
- Enjoying a glass of wine-and not feeling guilty
- Getting my nails done
What does self-care look like for you? What lights you up? What do you look forward to and makes you smile?
Why not join my Facebook group, all about the importance of self-care-Shine in Self-Care