This post was updated on 27/02/23
Self-Care for your mind might not be the first thing you think about. I’m so pleased to say though, that all forms of self-care is being talked about more. I’m doing my bit too and I’m not going to apologise for it! Anyway this is second part in this series. Click here to read about learning and development and unplug time. This post is covering; mindfulness, mindset and simplifying.
As a reminder, self-care is any activity that you do for yourselves; to protect, maintain, develop and improve your health and wellbeing. It is something that nourishes or benefits your mind body or soul in some way. Self-care is anything that inspires you and makes you happy. It fills you up and creates joy. Any activity that is like making a deposit in your energy bank.
When we are living lives filled with activity, noise, and hurry, it is incredibly difficult to feel healthy and rested. When that is our overall experience with life, the result is that we become stressed and burned out. In order to nurture the health of our mind, body, and soul, we need ways to re-centre and restore. We need these in short spurts throughout the day-some only need to be 5 or 10 minutes long.
This month the focus is on self-care for the mind and I’ve split this into five categories
- Learning and Development
- Unplug (Rest and Recharge)
The first two, I covered in my previous blog post, so today is all about mindfulness, mindset and simplifying.
We want to pursue a life being mindful not mind full. I don’t know about you, but if I’m not careful my mind just buzzes; things I must remember to do, how the weekend was, what’s coming up this week-it can be exhausting! So instead I work to be more mindful.
- If you go for a walk, enjoy your surroundings
- If you are having a conversation, focus whole-heartedly on that and really listen.
- If you are eating, enjoy the flavours.
This is another huge subject; generally speaking your mindset is your way of thinking and your opinions. Your mindset defines many aspects of your life and can either help or hinder your ability to shine. Your stories and your habits create your reality. Mindset self-care is a huge area; however a few pointers below will help get you started.
- Be aware of your self-talk– talk to yourself, like you would talk to your best friend. You deserve kindness and love too.
- Have an attitude of gratitude-it helps you to tune in to everything good you have in your life. It even helps your brain to notice good and positive things going forward.
- Create a smile file. Create a file of your successes and achievements and compliments you’ve received. Then when you need a little boost you can open the file for a read and you’ll be left smiling.
Simplifying your mind means you will worry less and your mind will feel more calm. Letting go of distractions, things that don’t matter will free up space to enjoy the here and now and look forward to the future with a greater sense of happiness. You are also likely to be more productive as your thoughts will be focused, and have a greater ability to unwind and relax as well.
- Tidy your to do list. Cross off something that’s been on there for ages.
- Carry out a declutter- your email inbox, your desk or your wardrobe. Get rid of anything that isn’t serving you.
- Edit your social media feeds- Unfollow negative people or anything that makes you feel unworthy or bad about yourself.
- Review your calendar- have you take too much on? Ask yourself if you are using your time in a way that really adds value.
I’m looking forward to bring you much more on these five areas, as I’ve only scratched the surface.
For ongoing support and encouragement with your self-care, come and join my FREE Facebook group, Shine in Self-Care
Always busy and on the go?
When you are living a life filled with activity, noise, and hurry, it is incredibly difficult to feel healthy and rested.
Maybe you know what to do, but can’t seem to do it. But you know what, you can slow down, take and breath, ditch the drama. You can focus on what’s important to you, and live a life you love. Download this PDF for 7 ways to mentally press pause and start today.